ADVICE message for a grass fire in Mica Creek (near Mount Isa)
The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service is advising:
A large grass fire is currently burning on the eastern side of the Old Mica Creek Road, Mica Creek (near Mount Isa). Multiple fire crews are at the scene of the large fast moving grass fire, which is travelling in a northerly direction. The fire broke out around 3pm.
Fire crews are currently conducting back burning operations and property protection in the area.
The fire is causing a large smoke hazard in the Old Mica Creek Road and Duchess Road areas and residents in the area and motorists are urged to drive to conditions.
Residents in the vicinity of the Old Mica Creek Road area are asked to remain vigilant and close their windows and doors. If they suffer from respiratory illness they should keep medications close by.
There is no threat to property at this time. However, if residents believe their home has come under threat they are asked to call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Residents should consider taking precautionary measures including:
• Put on protective clothing
• Drink lots of water
• Move car/s to a safe location
• Close windows and doors and shut blinds
• Bring pets inside and restrain them (leash, cage or secure room) and provide water
• Wet down fine fuels close to buildings
• Remove garden furniture, doormats and other items
• Seal all gaps under doors and screens
• Fill containers with water - eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins, etc
• Have ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside)
• Have generator or petrol pump ready
• Check and patrol outside for embers and extinguish any spot fires and seek shelter as
the fire front arrives.
Regular updated information will be provided on the QFRS Rural Operations website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au or at www.fire.qld.gov.au or by listening to their local radio station. For information on current bushfire incidents visit http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map.html
Contact for media enquiries: DCS media unit on (07) 3635 3310.