CANCELLATION OF WATCH AND ACT message for bushfire on North Stradbroke Island as at 3.30pm
A large bushfire is currently burning on North Stradbroke Island. Approximately 15 fire crews are at the scene of the fire, which broke out on East Coast Road, around 12.15pm on Sunday, 9 December 2012.
The fire is burning within containment lines and there is no immediate threat to property. The fire is causing a large smoke haze and motorists are urged to drive with caution. Residents who feel their property is under threat should phone Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Four crews will continue to monitor and patrol the fire overnight.
Residents in the Amity Point area should consider taking precautionary measures including:
- Put on protective clothing
- Drink lots of water
- Move car/s to a safe location
- Close windows and doors and shut blinds
- Bring pets inside and restrain them (leash, cage or secure room) and provide water
- Wet down fine fuels close to buildings
- Remove garden furniture, doormats and other items
- Seal all gaps under doors and screens
- Fill containers with water - eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins, etc
- Have ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside)
- Have generator or petrol pump ready
- Check and patrol outside for embers and extinguish any spot fires and seek shelter as
the fire front arrives.
Regular updated information will be provided on the QFRS Rural Operations website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au or at www.fire.qld.gov.au or by listening to their local radio station. For information on current bushfire incidents visit http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map.html.
There are three levels of bushfire warning
Advice: A fire or other emergency has started in the area however there is no immediate threat.
Watch and Act: There is a heightened level of threat, you need to be aware of your situation and take action to be prepared and protect yourself and your family.
Emergency Warning: You are in danger and need to take immediate action recommended by the fire service.
Contact for media enquiries: DCS media unit on (07) 3635 3310.
<< Back to News
Back to top
| Disclaimer | Privacy
© The State of Queensland (Department of Community Safety) 2015.
Queensland Government Gateway | Other